Sunday, April 15, 2018

Movie Nights with the Reagans by Mark Weinberg


Title: Movie Nights with the Reagans
Author: Mark Weinberg
Read by:  George Newbern with an Introduction by the Author
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Length: Approximately 6 hours and 29 minutes
Source: Review Copy from Simon & Schuster.  Thank-you!

Author Mark Weinberg was the former Press Secretary and Special Advisor to President Ronald Reagan.  He was with him for all eight years of Reagan’s term and also worked for him in California after his Presidency had ended. Weinberg loved working for Reagan and especially loved their weekend trips to Camp David where they enjoyed movies nights together.

This book had a very interesting concept.  It discussed the Reagans and the presidency within the frame of different movies that the author watched with the Reagans on the weekend at Camp David.  It was unique and I felt a very enjoyable journey through the 1980’s in film and politics.  I also enjoyed when they would watch vintage Reagan films and discuss how they were made.

I loved hearing about how Reagan was so considerate and thoughtful of staff.  He would travel and celebrate Christmas the day after Christmas so the staff could all be with their family on the holiday.  He also would retire to the night with Nancy to allow staff to go home for the night.  He sadly also had to give up buying cards personally for Nancy and attending church weekly.  He didn’t want church goers to have to go through metal detectors and for the church to become a target.

Reading about Reagan’s common courtesy, thoughtfulness, and real love for the people made me very nostalgic for past times.  I know I probably think of the 1980’s with rose colored glasses as that was the time period of my childhood, but I wish that we could have such a president again.  I may not agree with all of his policy decisions, but Reagan was a great leader and a great man.

It’s been awhile since I had read anything about the Reagans and I had forgotten that the assassination attempt was so early in the Presidency.  It was a very scary experience and it was interesting to learn more about it.  I especially loved the author’s disregard for Bill O’Reilly’s Killing Reagan book which this author stated was full of inaccuracies.

I liked how the book talked about the love between the Reagans and the life that they had after the presidency.  The author had a very unique experience.

Narrator George Newborn was an excellent narrator and I really enjoyed the introduction by the author himself.  This was a great audiobook to listen to on my commute!

Overall, this was a truly enjoyable audiobook with a unique premise.  It ended too soon for me – I wanted to listen to more!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this sounds like it would be a treat to listen to. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete