Friday, December 11, 2015

The Classics Club




I first read about The Classics Club on Lakeside Musing.  I was intrigued.  I have read a lot of classics in my life, but I feel like I haven’t read that many in the past five years or so.  I have a LOT of classics in my “to read” bookshelf at home so I started to make a list of them. I also added in a few books I don’t own that I would really like to read, and also a few that I’ve already read that I would love to read again.

My list has ended up long – 116 novels!  My goal is to try to finish this list in five years.  January 1, 2021 is my completion date.  I plan to link all of my reviews on to this page and I may update and change the list as we go along . . . we’ll see where this leads.  I just want a way to inspire me to get back to reading the classics and to read the books I already own!  What do you think of my list?


1.      Morte Arthur by Author Unknown
2.      Christmas Treasury by Louisa May Alcott
3.      A Garland for Girls by Louisa May Alcott
4.      Jo’s Boys by Louisa May Alcott
5.      Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
6.      The House of the Spirits  by Isabel Allende
7.      Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
8.      I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (reread)
9.      Foundation by Isaac Asimov
10.  Robot Empire by Isaac Asimov
11.  Emma by Jane Austen (reread)
12.  Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (reread)
13.  Persuasion by Jane Austen (reread)
14.  If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin
15.  Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
16.  The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
17.  Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
18.  The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum
19.  The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
20.  Letter from Peking by Pearl Buck
21.  A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (reread)
22.  Alexander’s Bridge by Willa Cather
23.  My Mortal Enemy by Willa Cather
24.  The Professor’s House by Willa Cather
25.  Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather
26.  Selected Stories by Anton Chekhov
27.  The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
28.  The Pathfinder by James Fenimore Cooper
29.  Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
30.  Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
31.  Bleak House by Charles Dickens
32.  A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (reread)
33.  The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
34.  Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
35.  Crime and Punishment by Fyoder Dostoyevsky
36.  The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
37.  Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
38.  The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
39.  Hungry Hill by Daphne du Maurier
40.  Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier (reread)
41.  The Parasites by Daphne du Maurier
42.  Scrapegoat by Daphne du Maurier
43.  Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
44.  Middlemarch by George Eliot
45.  The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
46.  Saratoga Creek by Edna Ferber
47.  So Big by Edna Ferber
48.  The Story of Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
49.  The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerold
50.  Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin (reread)
51.  North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
52.  Sylvia’s Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell
53.  Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham
54.  King Solomon’s Mines by H. Rider Haggard
55.  Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
56.  The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
57.  The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
58.  The Blithedale Romance by Nathanial Hawthorne
59.  Twice Told Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne
60.  Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
61.  The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway
62.  The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
63.  The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
64.  The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer
65.  The Spanish Bride by Georgette Heyer
66.  The World According to Garp by John Irving
67.  The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
68.  The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
69.  The Golden Bowl by Henry James
70.  The Stand by Stephen King
71.  Born on the Fourth of July by Ron Kovic
72.  The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
73.  Ann Vickers by Sinclair Lewis
74.  Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis
75.  Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis
76.  Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis
77.  The Call of the Wild by Jack London
78.  The Betsy-Tacy Treasury by Maud Hart Lovelace
79.  Heidi:  A Story for Girls by H.A. Melcon
80.  Christmas with Anne by L.M. Montgomery
81.  The Complete Stories by Flannery O’Conner
82.  The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orcey
83.  Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
84.  Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter
85.  The Harvester by Gene Stratton Porter
86.  Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton Porter
87.  Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter
88.  Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter
89.  All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
90.  Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
91.  Waverly by Sir Walter Scott
92.  The Mistletoe and the Sword by Anya Seton
93.  My Theodosia by Anya Seton
94.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
95.  This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart
96.  Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
97.  The Lady or the Tiger by Frank R. Stockton
98.  Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
99.  Walden by Henry David Thoreau (reread)
100.          The Death of Ivan Ilych and other Stories by Leo Tolstoy
101.          Christmas at Thompson Hall: And Other Christmas Stories by Anthony Trollope
102.          Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope
103.          A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain
104.          Essays and Sketches of Mark Twain
105.          From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne
106.          Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
107.          Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
108.          Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
109.          On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
110.          On the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
111.          The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
112.          Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
113.          These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
114.          The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder (reread)
115.          Twilight Sleep by Edith Wharton
116.          Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing list!! I see so many books I want to read along with several that I've read and loved. Glad you decided to join the club.... but what a shock to see the year 2021 in your post! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a shock to me as well. I told my husband - is 2021 really only five years away? Hard to believe!

    I'm really excited about this and have my first pick waiting for when I finish my current book. I'm excited to get back to the classics and to read so many of them that I've gathered up through the years. My husband is excited that I'm actually reading books off of my "to read" pile in hopes that it will decrease.

    ReplyDelete