Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty



The Husband’s Secret is our January FLICKS Book and Movie Club pick.  I knew there were a lot of holds on it at the library so I put mine on as well . . . and it came very early!  I read it and really enjoyed it.  I can’t wait to discuss it in January.

Cecelia Fitzpatrick is a very successful Tupperware saleswomen in Sidney, Australia and runs her family life with precision.  One day while her husband John-Paul is on a business trip in America, she discovers a letter addressed to her to be opened upon his death.  When Cecelia reads the letter, it makes her world implode.  Tess has recently discovered that her husband and her best friend / cousin have fallen in love.  She takes her son Liam and returns to Sidney to help her mother out and also to get away from the situation and have time to think.  Rachel is nearing retirement, but still works at the Catholic school that her children attended.  She loves her grandson, but his parents are about to move with him to New York City.  She also can’t stop thinking about her daughter Janie that was murdered twenty years previous. When the worlds of these three women collide, there will be much drama.

The Husband’s Secret was a book that I literally could not put down.  I guessed the “secret” early on, but it did not lessen the impact of the story to me.  How one secret would affect and change so many lives was intriguing.  Moriarty also wrote the characters in such a way that I really identified with them and was very interested in their lives.  I enjoyed the ending when Moriarty showed how different choices and secrets could have led to a very different story and ending.  I thought it was interested to contemplate.

Overall, if you are looking for a great character driven story, look no further.  This is the book for you.  I can’t wait to read more by this author.

We have recently read other books with the book club that I had read previously and did not re-read.  This included Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult for October and The Life of Pi by Yann Martel for November.

Book Source:  The Kewaunee Public Library

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one a lot. I really enjoyed her newer book, Big Little Lies. Hope you read it too.

    ReplyDelete