Friday, October 26, 2012

Searching for Captain Wentworth by Jane Odiwe

Is there a literary hero that shines brighter than Mr. Darcy of Pride and Prejudice? To me, the answer is yes – Captain Wentworth is to me the sexiest Austen hero and among my favorite literary romantic leads. Besides the fact that Captain Wentworth is a navy man that has made his fame and fortune at sea, he is also a man with strong feelings and passion. Who can forget his letter to Anne Elliot at the end of Persuasion where he admits to never forgetting her and harboring a love for her for eight years after her rejection of him? That letter is the most romantic letter in the history of literature!


In Searching for Captain Wentworth, one of my favorite Austen Authors, Jane Odiwe combines many of my favorite elements; romance, Jane Austen, Bath, time travel, and Persuasion to create a very romantic tale of love across the spans of time. Sophie Elliot is taking time in Bath to get over her cheating boyfriend and to see if she can finally write the novel she has always dreamed of writing. Her Great-aunt has given her the keys to the family’s old home in Bath to use during her stay. Part of the home has been split up for others to live in including her attractive new neighbor, Josh Strafford.

Sophie soon discovers that through the use of a mysterious glove, she is able to travel back through time to Regency Bath and live the life of her ancestor and namesake Sophia Elliot. Sophia is friends with her neighbors, Cassandra and Jane Austen. The Austen’s brother, Charles, is on leave from the navy and Sophia soon finds herself falling in love with Charles. Will their love last and how will they make it work through space and time? You will need to read this novel to find out for yourself!

I love Odiwe’s characterizations in this novel. Jane was a lively young woman in the spirit of Elizabeth Bennet and I could easily see her writing her witty novels. Jane had a secret passion of her own, which was intriguing to read about. I loved how Sophia’s Elliot family strongly mirrored the Elliots from Persuasion with herself as Anne and Charles as Captain Wentworth. It was a great story and oh so romantic. I liked the surprise ending. I didn’t see it coming and it was the perfect ending.

I follow author Jane Odiwe online and am a virtual friend. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that I was acknowledged at the beginning of Searching for Captain Wentworth as well as many of my other favorite Austen bloggers. The quote reads, “ Laurel Ann Nattress, Vic Sanborn, Julie Wakefield, Meredith Esparza, Maria Grazia, Lori Hedgpeth, Alexa Adams, Nancy Kelley, Laura Hartness, Deb Barnum, Laura Gerold, Margaret Sullivan, Austen Authors, Historical Romance UK Authors, and the Romantic Novelist’s Association, for your friendship, kindness, and entertaining blogs.” This was a very awesome surprise and I was very humbled as well as excited.

Does anyone else harbor a passion for Captain Wentworth over Mr. Darcy?

Book Source: Author Jane Odiwe – Thank-you very much!!

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome surprise! Although I like Mr. Darcy there's just something about Captain Wentworth that places him above D. I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mr. Darcy. I mean, who doesn't? But, I have this secret space in my heart for Captain Wentworth and also for Colonel Brandon. I adore them both. They're such strong, gentle men who are passionate about the women they love. I think Wentworth's letter to Anne is one of the most beautiful, romantic pieces of writing, I've ever read.

    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I so agree! There is something about Captain Wentworth that sets him above the rest. Holly, that letter is the most romantic piece of writing though, of course, in reality it was written by a woman! I, too, love Wentworth's passion!

    ReplyDelete