Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

Alison Arngrim played Nellie Oleson on my favorite show from my youth, Little House on the Prairie. While the world thinks of Arngrim as her character, Nellie Oleson, in reality Arngrim was best friends with Melissa Gilbert (who played Laura Ingalls) and was the poor girl to Melissa’s rich girl. Arngrim had a very tough childhood and was victimized by her older brother. Adult Arngrim has proved she is anything but a victim and has put those sad experiences to work by helping to get victims’ rights for others that were abused by members of their own families. She also has worked to help out AIDs victims after her friend and TV husband, Steve Tracey contracted and died from the disease.

Overall Confessions of a Prairie Bitch was a funny, heartfelt book. Arngrim told the tales of her little house days, but also the story of what went on in her life before and after the show. She is a woman full of courage and heart. I got to meet her for two seconds at Laura Ingalls Wilder day in Green Bay at the end of July after a two hour wait. My book is now officially autographed, but I have a problem with being able to engage in any sort of witty dialogue when I meet an author face to face. As in I become quite tongue tied. She was a gracious author though and took great pictures with people. If only I would have had my camera! After I bought this book and got it autographed, I found I couldn’t put it down and finished it in a couple of days.

Book Source: I purchased this book.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you are so lucky to have met her! I thought thi book was excellent and the best book by one of the LHOTP cast members written. If anyone else (is there anyone else left?) writes a book I won't bother. Alison told it straight up here and in such an engaging way.

    ReplyDelete