Monday, December 12, 2011

Victorian Challenge 2012 Sign-up

I’m trying something new this year on Laura’s Reviews, a Victorian Challenge. I hosted the All About the Brontes Challenge in 2010 and greatly enjoyed it. Last year I had a newborn baby girl, and with her I had three children ages four and under so I took a year off! In October I opened up a survey to readers of this blog to determine whether I should bring back All About the Brontes or a new challenge. It was determined from the poll and the comments that most people were looking for a new challenge in which the Brontes were included, but other authors could also be explored. A Victorian Challenge won the poll by a slim margin, and I look forward to a new challenge.


For the Victorian Challenge, we will focus on the reign of Queen Victoria from 1837 to 1901. We will count books that were written by Victorian authors during this time period, books set during the Victorian age, or books about a Victorian author, history, manners, architecture, Queen Victoria etc. Also besides reading books, short stories, audiobooks and movies will also be accepted. The sky is the limit; I would love to make this a true celebration of all things Victorian.

I would also like to challenge myself to have one Victorian author to focus on for each month of 2012. I will post something about that author each month and will read, listen, or watch something related to that author as well. Fellow challenge goers can join me if they would like, or can take the challenge in any direction that they choose. I had a poll in November to help pick the twelve Victorian authors readers of this blog were most interested in focusing on and the following authors were picked:

January: The Bronte Sisters

February: Charles Dickens

March: Robert Louis Stevenson

April: Emily Dickinson

May: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

June: George Eliot

July: Oscar Wilde

August: Anthony Trollope

September: Elizabeth Gaskell

October: Mark Twain

November: Lewis Carroll

December: Louisa May Alcott

I was part of a great Victorian Challenge in 2009. If you need ideas for books you would like to explore, take a look at this site.

Challenge Details

1. The Victorian Challenge 2012 will run from January 1st to December 31st, 2012. You can post a review before this date if you wish.

2. You can read a book, watch a movie, or listen to an audiobook, anything Victorian related that you would like. Reading, watching, or listening to a favorite Victorian related item again for the second, third, or more time is also allowed. You can also share items with other challenges.

3. The goal will be to read, watch, listen, to 2 to 6 (or beyond) anything Victorian items.

4. Please sign-up by posting your blog entry on the number of items and what items you would like to do for this challenge below in Mr. Linky (Don't just post your blog's URL). Don't worry, you can do different things than you have listed. I myself am not always good at sticking to lists! 

5.  You can still join even if you do not have a blog.  Just post the title of the book you read (movie you watched, etc.) in the comments along with your thoughts on the item to promote discussion.

6. I will put up a post each month with Mr. Linky on it for posting your reviews. Look at the right sidebar for the latest link.

7. Enjoy!

51 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting this challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm new to your blog,my first visit with you.I'm going to browse a little more and just enjoy myself.Drop in to say hello any time you like. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, this challenge sounds wonderful. I will most likely fulfill the minimum requirement due (mostly) to time constraints! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m signed up for a ton of challenges, so I'll do as much as I can. I may have to include some movies, but it looks like many of them have great mini series!

    http://existingstricky.blogspot.com/p/2012-reading-challenges.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, count me in! :D At least half of those authors were on my "to read at some point" list anyway, so this is a good excuse to get going. :) Planning on a bit of Dickens, Stevenson, Gaskell, and whatever else I've managed to get my mitts on. I'll try not to go silly this time, and limit myself to a modest "one a month" and hopefully be able to stick to that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does non-fiction count? I have quite a bit of Victorian-related nf on my TBR list that this challenge would help me clear! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Non-fiction definitely counts! I plan on reading biographies of some of the highlighted authors. I also like to read books about Queen Victoria and Victorian architecture. I would love to read reviews of great Victorian related non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea for your challenge!! Though I am not going to join up this year (maybe next though LOL), I just wanted to tell you this is a great way to run the challenge! Good luck to you, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our book review blog is newish...and I have several contributors. We will enjoy this challenge. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I created my first blog just so I could enter and follow this challenge. I've read every one of the authors already except for Elizabeth Gaskell. I'm thinking of reading her bio of Charlotte Bronte and claim credit for two month's worth of challenge. Hmm, that might be cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be getting my post up soon. Looking forward to the Victorian Challenge in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really looking forward to this challenge. I am planning on re-reading some old favourites, some short stories and some fiction set in the Victorian age. I will try and read or watch something to go with each months featured author as well, but I am not very good at sticking to set timetables, although January seems a good time to re-read Wuthering Heights. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to this challenge, Laura. Some of the authors on my list are the same as yours, so I'll try to read them in the relevant months if possible. There are a few other authors I want to focus on too. Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate that you have made this so broad. I normally don't sigh up to challenges because they make me feel too constrained. But as you say, this encourages all things Victorian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for hosting this, Laura! My post will be cisible after 10a Tues (Dec 20.) I didn't want to flood people's Google Reader.)

    I can't take part in the monthly assigned author (due to conflicting schedules with my other challenges.) But I'll be reading at least twelve works by Victorians in 2012.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in for sure. I adore Victorian novels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This will be my second challenge, and I'm looking forward to it! In the Gaskell month of September (my birth month), I think I'll re-read North and South, which I loved many years ago. For anyone under a time constraint, I suggest The Canterville Ghost for Oscar Wilde.

    I review ghost novels, so I would love some suggestions. So far, the Victorian era ghost novels I've reviewed are: Beloved, The Canterville Ghost, Turn of the Screw. I have put The Seance and Affinity on my list. Any others I should try?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in. Wonderful challenge idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Help! I think this sounds really great as I love to read these types of books though I am just beginning to. Do I have to have a big to do this challenge. Not particularly tech savvy - don't even use Facebook. Can someone dumb this down for me as far as what the specific challenge is and how this works?

    Thank you,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just signed up! I posted a short, tentative list on my tumblr, which I'm sure will grow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa (Little Chimp) - If you don't have a blog, just check out my monthly link-up and post in the comments what books you read and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm looking forward to revisiting some favorite authors and exploring new ones. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh! Oh! I am SO excited by this challenge, thank you so much for hosting. I have blog posts planned for the next few days, but will be back when I've had a chance to post my link about my challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. so, I caught on to this by a goodreads member. I would love to join this challenge but I do not have a blog. Does that make it impossible to post and such?

    Ashley Hall
    ashleyhall1a@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for hosting. I'm looking forward to starting the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excited for this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for hosting this challenge. I'm really going to enjoy this one!
    XXX
    Birdie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for providing this great opportunity to read Victorian novels - I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great challenge! I might just kick it all off with rereading Wuthering Heights. Hmm...Thanks for offering such a great opportunity for us history lovers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I flubbed on my sign-up, because I have baby brain and it's what I do (at least...that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it!). But here's my link:

    http://alyssiakirkhart.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-year-new-challenge.html

    Sorry for the confusion. Which was solely on my part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for hosting this amazing challenge!

    Valentina from Italy
    www.peekabook.it

    ReplyDelete
  33. I apologize about the mix-up. This is going to be a Great Challenge.

    I notice that Wilkie Collins is not on your list. Is it ok to read him? I'll also be reading Anthony Trollope and Lewis Carroll and whoever else catches my Victorian fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I had a poll back in November to pick the twelve authors, Wilkie Collins was not chosen in that poll and that is the only reason he is not included on this list.

    All Victorian authors are worth reading - you can read any that you would like!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome, I can't wait to get started! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for this challenge! I have really wanted to start.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gosh, all my favourite authors, I'll choose just one Bronte novel as its already 10th Jan and I am in a lot of other challenges!!

    cheers
    Julie in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well, since I read a few Bronte books last challenge that I hadn't read before, I thought I'd start with

    The secret adventures of Charlotte Brontë : a novel / Laura Joh Rowland.

    There is a sequel which I've requested from the library too, lets hope I finish the first one and can report in!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm finishing Jane Eyre and comparing it to my experience with Wuthering Heights. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Although am starting a bit late, I really am looking forward to dig into Victorian Literature. Have read just a couple of books and look forward to read a whole lot more. Yay, I'm excited :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm going to compare Shirley, Villette and Jane Eyre(the books) and hopefully do something on the 1973 miniseries. Hope to eventually cover Mrs Gaskell and Anthony Trollope.
    http://thebriarfieldchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very excited to do this challenge -- my single Victorian novel last year was a huge hit for me, so I'd love to expand my reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I had a blog re-do so that #49 Donna and #60 Donna are the same person. I re-entered the new link on Mr. Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm really late signing up for this one, but I just can't resist. Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello, I read Alice in wonderland in february, i hope you like the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. My favourite authors are Mary braddon, mrs henry wood, Wilkie collins and Anthony Trollpe. Thanks for the challenge.
    I am making a full size wire and textile model of the "woman in white" will post a photo when finished

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi, I finally managed to enter a review. Thanks for the motivation.

    I'm excited to participate and looking for more Victorian ghost novels. Any suggestions welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  49. kevonito pero no puedo leer por keesta en otro idioma inose canvialo

    ReplyDelete
  50. I may have signed up in Dec.2011 on the wrong blog! I have aliteraryodyssey.blogspot.com as my reference. I've already read 9 books- biographies, autobiographies and art books based on the Victorian era. Help!

    ReplyDelete