Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eclipse (2010)

My FLICKS Book and Movie Club went together to see Eclipse last Wednesday evening. It is always fun getting together with the ladies and enjoying a movie, and we all had been looking forward to this movie for quite some time. Twilight was my book choice pick for the club last fall and I managed to get many of my friends addicted to the series.

I know there are a lot of “haters” out there of the books and the movies, but I am not one of them. I read books of all types as you can tell from this blog and the Twilight series was great escapism reading that I literally could not put down. While it is not a literary masterpiece such as Pride and Prejudice, I think there is room in this world for fun reading. While I enjoy many types of books, not too many keep me wrapped up in them the way the Twilight series did.

To me, the movies follow the same principle. At times the first two movies were good campy fun, but they are fun to watch. I enjoyed Eclipse and thought it was a better movie than the first two. I thought the screenplay, acting, and special effects all had enjoyed a boast as the movies have come along. I enjoyed Eclipse as I have the other two movies as it is really enjoyable to finally have a movie that is about romance and not just sex. It’s also nice to have the action without gross out violence. I thought I was the only one that has gotten tired of super violent sexed up movies, but I think the popularity of the Twilight movie series shows that many people feel the same way. Bring back the romance!

My favorite line of Eclipse was when Jacob entered the tent and said something along the lines of “I’m hotter than you” to Edward. It made me laugh out loud. I also LOVED the back stories of Jasper and Rosalie. I was sad the back stories got mostly cut out of the other two films and hope they are put back in Breaking Dawn.

My only complaint about Eclipse was that Bella really needed a jacket after the tent scene. She was almost frozen to death in the night, but yet the next day she wanders outside with no hat, mittens, or coat. While that is okay for Edward and Jacob, it is not okay for Bella. I know it isn’t as romantic to have her kissing Jacob all bundled up, but it would be more realistic!

As I posted on Facebook, I realized after this movie at the grand old age of 32 I might be getting old as I decided I am “Team Charlie.” Charlie is funny and not bad looking. I especially liked his attempt to have “the talk” with Bella in Eclipse.

I am looking forward to Breaking Dawn, although I am not looking forward to seeing “the birthing scene” on the big screen. I’m also not thrilled about it being broken into two movies. The first one will just probably include the marriage, honeymoon, and baby birth with the large action scene at the end being movie two. I think it could have easily been one movie like the previous movies and think it’s just a way for the movie makers to make some extra cash . . . which they will out of me as I will be there! I’m only sad that Breaking Dawn Part 1 won’t be out until November 2011.

5 comments:

  1. I have not been a fan of Bella at all but I liked your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been Team Charlie since the first film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie? Is that Bella's dad? If so, I agree. He seems like a nice guy. :) I think I'm more particular when it comes to books, but with films, I'm definitely of the "hey, it's a film! I'll watch it!" attitude. With "Eclipse", I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD, so we can borrow it from a friend who's likely to buy it. Not contributing to the franchise ftw! (Twilight hater? Who, me? Whatever gave you that impression... ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog this morning via Stephanie's Written Word and I'm glad that I did :) What a great review of Eclipse and I can assure you that you are by no means the only one who is sick of violent, sexed-up film and tv. In the Jacob versus Edward stakes I am firmly rooted in Camp Jacob but just like you, I think Charlie is great - I think the actor playing him is perfect for the role too. I hadn't realised that the last book was being split into two films, the same is true for Harry Potter I believe and I think it's a great shame and definitely a way of making extra cash as opposed to getting more of the story out there...I'll be there at them all myself of course, lol!
    Great blog and I'm super tempted by your Bronte Challenge but have been on a mission collecting everything Austen related that I haven't already read for the Austen II challenge! Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are my absolute favourites in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you liked the Twighlight series, you will probably like the Portal Chronicles, although they're not about vampires, they're time travel books aimed at the YA audience. I stumbled across the first one on Amazon and loved it. The second book is now out. If you haven't read them, you should check them out. Also, I'm sure the author, Imogen Rose would be happy to give you an interview.

    Nice blog, btw. I'm building one now, but no idea what I'm going to blog about :D

    ReplyDelete