Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Star Trek

Ben and I finally went to a theatre and watched a movie! Those of you with small children know how hard it is to actually get to go out on a date without said small children. This is especially difficult when you have any relatives that live nearby.

It was especially exciting for us to be going to a movie because it was a Star Trek movie. Ben and I are both serious Star Trek fans. I have loved Star Trek since I was a small girl watching the original series and then The Next Generation with my Dad. I remember having an earache and getting to go with my Dad and Mom to go and see Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home at the movie theatre. Since then, I have seen every Star Trek movie in the theatre. The last few were actually family events where myself, my Dad, and Grandma Arlt were sure to be in attendence. Those who say that Star Trek (and sci-fi) in general have no female fans need to look no further than my family and to my Grandma and myself! I couldn't miss seeing this Star Trek movie in the theatre!!

Fortunately, the new Star Trek movie lives up the hype. Unfortunately, I had obsessively read every article I saw about the movie and it ruined much of the plot for me. I do not want to do that to someone else so suffice it to say that this movie is the story of how Kirk and Spock grew up, joined Star Fleet, and learned to work together. They also meet up with the rest of the historic crew for their first mission out of Starfleet to help save the planet Vulcan. There is time travel involved and an inspired plot twist that will help the creators have a free license in storytelling as they hopefully continue this reinvention of Star Trek.

I love the original actors, but the new actors playing my beloved old characters were great. The action was also fantastic. My Dad has not seen it yet, but I told him he will be pleased as he has complained my entire life about the Enterprise's crappy firing ability and in this movie, the Enterprise FINALLY is able to defend itself properly. I also loved the score. There were some great fan throw-backs in the movie and I also loved the comedic bits.

This was a great retake of the Star Trek world and I really want to see it again. Dad and Grandma haven't went without me so perhaps I will get to see it again when I am in Michigan next week. Since we were the only three people who went and saw Nemesis in the theatre - I can't believe how well this movie is doing without us!

How does this rank with previous Star Trek movies? My favorites are 2, 4, and 6. I would put this movie in the same category as the best of the movies. I still think Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie as Nemo in the current film was a MUCH weaker villian than Khan. Will we see Khan in the future in this new Star Trek universe? Only time will tell!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad it lived up to your expectations. I really enjoyed this film too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Trek fans unite! Yea, I'm so glad you're a Trekkie too! I love, absolutely love Star Trek. I love em all. My fave movies of the OST cast is definitely Star Trek II, followed by four, three, six, one, and five. Also have loved all of the series' of Star Trek with TNG my all-time fave! Nice to meet a mutual female Trekkie!

    ReplyDelete