Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed by Marc Blatte

Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed was my May library book club pick. I must admit, I had a hard time getting started on the book as I the entire hip-hop scene was something that did not interest me. But as I got into the book, I found I couldn't put it down. It kept me riveted - wanting to know how it would end. I guess this is the power of book clubs - it put a book in my path that I could normally not read that ended up being quite excellent.

Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed is a murder/mystery tale set in New York at a murder scene where the world of hip-hop, overpivileged youth, and immigrants with a dream collide. Pasko, an eastern European immigrant and body guard at an exclusive club has been murdered, and his cousin Vooko was run down. Detective "Black Sallie Blue Eyes" is on the case and also on the case of Scholar and Proof Positive, a hip-hop manager and group that may have attacked a white R&B producer at the club on the same night. Why was Pasko murdered?

And what is up with the name for this book. It's from this quote by Pasko, “Take care with this little cuz. This place America ain’t like home. No way. Here nobody takes responsibility for anything. They got ‘no fault insurance’, bumper stickers and tee-shirts that say ‘shit happens.’ Come on, man, let’s be real, shit don’t just happen, yo, that’s what I’m talking about – Humpty Dumpty was pushed!” Too true!

I also thought the author's biography on the back flap was great. It sounds like Blatte has led a very interesting life and definitely has the street cred to write this novel. A great first novel and I look forward to reading his next book.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    This is Marc Blatte and I am very appreciative of your favorable review. I also loved the comment ’Too true!'. I spent a great deal of time trying to come up with a way to tie the title in while giving it a spin.

    I passed this blog along to both my publisher and new public relations person. The publisher Tim Schaffner was over the moon about it. It is an affirmation of what he believes. The PR person asked how you came to read the book the book club happened to pick it.

    At this point we are going to be doing more radio interviews. I was on NPR three weeks ago and the book made the bestseller list on Amazon for a day, which was very gratifying. We will also be concentrating locally in NYC area, my hometown, including THE HAMPTONS. Finally because of your excellent blog she has expressed interest in contacting book clubs.

    Once again thank you.

    Sincerely,

    Marc Blatte

    email: marcblatte@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for reading my blog and posting your comments! To answer your question, the members of my book club like to page through the "Book Page" magazine that we can pick up for free at our local library. The review of your book sounded really different and interesting so we picked it back in March for our May book club pick. We are meeting this Thursday to discuss it!

    I'll have to look for your NPR interview. That is actually another way we come across books at times for book club!

    Thanks again - I'm looking forward to your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    January Magazine has picked Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed as one of the year’s best crime novels for 2009.

    Needless to say I am thrilled and want to thank you for your support.

    We have signed a film deal with director Raymond de Felitta whose movie City Island starring Andy Garcia and Julianna Margulies won the Audience Favorite Award at the Tribeca Film Festival.

    My wife and I are leaving for points south for the next several months.
    We have a house on the Pacific in a remote locale near the Costa Rican border.

    Best wishes for a very Happy New Year and again thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete