Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Marley & Me

I read the book Marley & Me a couple of years ago and loved it. As the owner of two dogs and two cats, I can relate to the trials and tribulations of being a dog lover and owner.

Marley & Me the book and the movie are both about the naughty yellow lab Marley, and about John and Jenny Grogan, owners of "the world's worst dog." The life of Marley extends over the period of their life when they are first married and having children. Life doesn't always work out as planned, but they learn to be happy with what they have. I thought the movie gave a very realistic portrayel of how tough it is to juggle career, marriage, kids, and pets. They are trials and it is not always easy, but it is life and you are better for it in the end.

Overall I thought it was a cute movie, but not a movie for young children to watch despite the PG rating (implied sexuality and SPOILER ALERT death of Marley at the end). The book is still the best, but Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston were great at John and Jenny Grogan. I also liked how they started off in Kalamazoo, MI (my birth place!). Good movie, highly recommended - especially to those who currently have or have had in the past a much beloved pet.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard such great things about this movie that I will definitely be seeing it. I was hoping to read the book first, but I don't think that will be happening. Maybe an audiobook though...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete