Saturday, April 4, 2009

In the Motherhood

I think I am the target demographic for the new ABC series "In the Motherhood," but I really don't like it. I was looking forward to a hip new show about the trials, tribulations, but ultimately fulfulling role of being a mother. Instead I got a show that was not very funny and seemed to portray a very unrealistic view of motherhood.

The mothers on the show seemed to be rich pampered ladies who's trials include having their "Manny" off for the week. I thought about it for awhile and realized I have never known anyone in my entire life who actually employed a nanny or a manny. Daycare and babysitters are the norm. Maybe I am downtrodden, but I am an engineer and the lady with the manny is an architect. . . I know architects make more money than I do - but not that much more. With the giant houses, manny's, and get-aways to Hawaii - the show seemed not at all like my real life experiences. I watched the first episode and hoped it would get better, but I didn't even make it through the second episode. I love the idea, but the execution of it is terrible.

I would love a show about real life mothers, not rich pampered ladies. In these times, the show seems especially inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment