Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Moon and Eclipse both by Stephenie Meyer

I can't get enough of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. I know what all of the buzz was about - her books are excellent, thrilling reads that are all but impossible to set down. I am now waiting impatiently on the waiting list for Breaking Dawn at the library.

New Moon is the second novel in the saga. Edward and the Cullen family leave town after Edward decides that they will always bring nothing but danger to Bella. Bella is devestated and sinks into a deep depression. The only thing that is able to bring her out of her depression is her friendship with Jacob, a young native American teen that she has known her entire life (dads are friends). Jacob has a supernatural secret of his own . . . this book was fantastic. I liked the discussion of Romeo and Juliet throughout and the parallels with this novel.

Eclipse is the third novel in the saga. Bella is torn between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob as the two are mortal enemies. An evil vampire is on the hunt for Bella with a vampire army. Edward and Jacob and their families unit to protect Bella from this evil force. The battle is quite thrilling as is the theme of Bella being torn between the two men. I LOVED the discussion of Wuthering Heights in this book and the parallels. I also loved the use of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost at the beginning of this novel. Meyer seems to have the same literary passions as I do - no wonder I love her works.

Okay - plot spoilers ahead for those who haven't read the books . . . I know I am in the minority here, I love Edward and think he is one of he sexiest literary heros I've ever read before, but I actually love Jacob and kind of wish Bella would have chosen him. I love the close friendship they have and the fact that she would be able to live a mostly normal life with him. He's also a tall, warm, and hairy man . . . sounds kind of like my husband - no wonder I think Jacob should win.

If you haven't read the Twilight Saga yet - I highly recommend these books. They are fantastic reads - some of the best books I've read in awhile. I'm really looking forward to the "Twilight" movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment