Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mistress of the Revolution by Catherine Delors

I read an excellent review of Mistress of the Revolution by Catherine Delors and it inspired me to check it out from the library. I found that this was an excellent historical fiction novel and I would highly recommend it to fans of the genre.

Mistress of the Revolution is the story of Gabrielle de Montserrat a young aristocratic woman in eighteenth century France. Her family is aristocratic, but impoversed. She falls in love with a non-aristocrat who proposes marriage, but her brother forbids it and marries her off to an old, abusive cousin. Gabrielle ends up in Paris right before the revolution and becomes a part of Marie Antonette's court. She experiences the harsh realities of the French Revolution first hand and finds that her first true love is now a judge in the tribunal. Real life characters abound and it was a gripping novel that also brought to life the horrifying events of the French Revolution.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great review, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm excited that Catherine Delors read my review! I just wish it would have been a more detailed review . . . I got a bit behind on my reviews and only had abreviated ones for most of April. Don't worry though - Mistress of the Revolution is on my list of books to recommend to friends and family that love historical fiction like me!

    ReplyDelete