Thursday, January 24, 2008

300

Ben and I watched 300 last weekend - while Kile was sleeping. It didn't seem like a toddler approved movie! We are probably the last people in the world to see this movie, but it came from the library two other times when we were gone for the weekend so this time was the first chance we had to actually sit down and watch it.

300 tells the story of King Leonidas of Sparta and his herioc battle against Xerxes the evil king of Persia who is trying to conquer Greece. Leonidas and his 300 men are able to hold a narrow pass with their extreme fighting skills against thousands of invaders for days. Their bravery inspires Spartans to continue the battle against Persia at the end.

I liked this movie. It was highly stylistic and quite beautiful to watch. Beautiful isn't the word I'm looking for, but it had wonderful imagery and cinematography. Bad CGI annoys me, but the CGI used in this film looked wonderful. I'm suprised it was not nominated for an Oscar.

I heard a lot of press before watching this movie about how it wasn't historically accurate. You know, the way the entire movie was set up was more like a retelling of a myth or legend from the voiceover narrator to the depections of monsters. It was kind of obvious it wasn't meant to be 100% detailed to history!! Some people get mired in the historical accuracy thing a bit too much.

I enjoyed this movie and recommend it to others that may not have seen it yet. It is a violent film so I do not recommend it to people who don't like watching violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment