Friday, August 3, 2007

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

My best friend Jenn Parks recommended One for the Money for me in such glowing terms that I knew that I needed to read it. When we were home in Minnesota visiting Ben's family a few weeks ago, Ben's Mom loaned me the book to read since it is always gone from the library.

One for the Money was a great read. It was a quick and funny mystery, with a dash of romance. In this first of the series, Stephanie Plum has found herself out of work and out of money. After having her car repossesed and drinking her last beer, she decides to ask her Cousin Vinnie about a filing job he has. Unfortunately the job has been filled, but he does need a Bounty Hunter. Stephanie has one week to find Joe Morelli, an accused murderer who jumped bail. Stephanie and this ex-cop have a history, he charmed his way into her pants back in high school and then wrote about it on the sub shop wall. Stephanie may have reciprocated by trying to run him over with her father's Buick - but isn't that what he deserved?

The only parts I didn't like so much were about Ramirez, a boxer who likes to brutalize women. He scared the crap out of me - I don't want to think there are men like that in the world. But then again, Evanovich writes great characters from Stephanie to her Grandma Mazur. My fear of Ramirez could be just because Evanovich wrote about him so well.

I can't wait to read more of this series and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good laugh and / or mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment