Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Measure of Man by Sidney Poitier

I just finished Oprah's latest book club selection, The Measure of a Man, by Sidney Poitier. I must admit, I knew who Sidney Poitier was, a legend, but I have only seen one of his films, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. And I just watched that film for the first time this year while on maternity leave. One thing I like about Oprah's book club is that it introduces me to books I might not normally read.

This book is not a straight out biography. Mr. Poitier talks about his life in general and waxes philosphically on his thoughts about life, the universe, raising children, the duality of humans, etc. It was an interesting read. For Mr. Poitier and his father, the measure of a man is how well he takes care of his children - which is a good philosophy.

I think I would have liked the book better if I were a huge Sydney Poitier fan like Oprah. I would be happy if Oprah picked a classic book again for her next pick (as long as it's not Faulkner) and picked books at a quicker interval . . .

Has anyone else read this yet? If so - what did you think? Did you get more out of it then me?

No comments:

Post a Comment