Monday, January 29, 2007

Miami Vice

Now that Ben and I are parents, we sadly don't go to the movie theatre any more. We used to go to the movies all of the time, but those days are gone. There is no Blockbuster Video in Kewaunee, but there is a library. You can check movies out for free at the library, which is great if you are cheap like me. The only problem is that you have to be on a long waiting list for new movies, and then they may all come at once!

We watched Miami Vice over the weekend and it was an okay movie. I think I had very high expectations because I knew it was another Michael Mann film and I loved the movie Collateral. This move never reaches the height of being a great movie like Collateral, but it is still very entertaining. I don't remember much from the original series as I was a youngster back in the 80's. Mostly I remember pastel suits and the theme song.

This movie is not pastel - it is mostly a dark cop movie about a sting operation to thwart drug runners. Ricardo Tubbs (Jamie Foxx) and Sonny Crockett (Colin Farrell) are undercover cops in Miami transporting drug loads into Florida to try to identify and take down a giant crime ring that is responsible for three murders.

I thought Jamie Foxx was excellent as always - I just wish there would have been more focus on his story in the movie. The movie seemed to focus more on Sonny Crockett's affair with the girlfriend of the top drug guy. That is really where I think the movie veared into only being okay. Colin Farrell and Gong Li (Isabella) did not have believable chemistry. Some onscreen couples have it and others don't . . . and they definitely didn't. It also didn't help that Colin Farrell was sporting a very un-sexy handle bar mustache with a dot of hair under his lip. With so much of the movie hinging on their affair and it not quite working, it made the movie not quite as good.

Otherwise the action and Ricardo Tubbs story line were pretty good. I would watch it again if it were on TV, but I wouldn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment